POCATELLO – Who says the Halloween fun has to end when you are no longer old enough to trick or treat? Idaho State University has a variety of fun spooky events that most every college student can enjoy and the events listed below are also open to the public.
• Saturday Oct. 24
– Muggle Magic, 11a.m.-3p.m. – The Idaho Museum of Natural History at Idaho State University will host its annual Muggle Magic, which combines the iconic world of Harry Potter with natural science. Children will be introduced to wand making using Idaho native trees, meet toads and snakes and learn about Muggle creatures that look like dragons. Tickets are $8 for students 3-17 years old in advance and $10 at the door. Tickets are free for adults and children 0-2 years old. These tickets can be purchased at the museum front desk or at imnh.isu.edu/muggle-magic-2015. For more information contact Becky Hansis-O’Neill at 208-282-2195.
– Haunted Science Laboratory, 3-9 p.m. – The ISU Society of Physics Students, the Kiwanis Club of Pocatello and the ISU Department of Physics will host a Haunted Science Laboratory exhibit open to the public at the old Car Quest Warehouse, 1161 Wilson Ave. Tickets are $3 per person or $7 per family. The Haunted Laboratory features interactive exhibits designed to delight, fright and educate kids of all ages. Exhibits include a Van deGraaf generator, lasers moving to music and lots of cool illusions with smoke and mirrors. For more information contact Steve Shropshire at 208-282-2212 or email@example.com.
• Tuesday Oct. 27
– Ghosts of Bengals Past, 7 p.m. – The Ghosts of Bengals Past free event presented by SPRIOparanormal team will be held in the Pond Student Union Ballroom. Ghosts of Bengals Past is center around paranormal activity on the ISU campus and will provide details about the SPRIOparanormal team. For more information call 208-282-3451 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Wednesday Oct. 28
– Trunk or Treat, 7-8:30 p.m. – The Student Athlete Advisory will present Trunk or Treat on the South side of the Holt Arena for elementary students of Pocatello.
• Thursday Oct. 29
– Bootacular 6-8 p.m. –Bootacular is a family-fun Halloween carnival where clubs and organizations host booths and compete for the 2015 Bootacular Trophy. Tickets are free for all ISU students, $2 for faculty and staff, $3 for the public or donate a canned food item for free admission. The event is a great way to do some trick or treating before the big day. The theme is Hocus Pocus. For more information contact 208-282-3451 or email email@example.com.
• “Ghosts! Get Into the Halloween Spirit” panel discussion, 7 p.m. – The Idaho Museum of Natural History will present the “Ghosts! Get Into the Halloween Spirit” panel discussion. Tickets are $5 per person. This event is for adults only. The event will be a pre-Halloween discussion about ghosts. The guest panelists are Steve Lawyer, ISU clinical psychology; Lewis Thomas, ISU cultural anthropology; Steve Shropshire, ISU physics; and John and Lisa Brian with Bret Yost, the SPIROparanormal Group. Refreshments will be provided.
• Friday Oct. 30
– Haunted Union, 9-11 p.m. – Haunted Union will provide spooks, scares, laughs and more at this Union Program Council Late Night event. The event is free to students and $5 to the public. All are invited to come dressed as your favorite Halloween character. There will be a costume contest and the winner will receive a $100 Visa gift card along with an “Ultimate Halloween Prize Package.” There will also be food, games, entertainment and raffle prizes. The grand prize is an Apple Watch Sport. For more info, visit www.isu.edu/union/upc/index.shtml.
• Saturday Oct. 31, Halloween
– Halloween Costume Fun Run, 8 a.m. – Start off the day with a Halloween Costume Fun Run put on by the ISU Student Physical Therapy Association. The run will start at Reed Gym and Cadet Field, next to Reed Gym. It is a 5k. Admission is $10 for ages 13 and up, $8 for ISU students and $4 for kids. There are prizes for the best individual and team costume. No masks covering the eyes are allowed for the safety of runners. For more information and preregistration visit2https://www.facebook.com/Costumefunrun.
– Day of the Dead, 9-11 a.m. – Come learn about Mexico’s Dia de los Muertos, Day of the Dead, presented by Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity. The free event will be on the Pond Student Union Ballroom. Food and entertainment will be provided. There will be arts and crafts tables. For more information visit www.facebook.com/events/1481921408778568/.
– Halloween Spooktacular Concert, 1 p.m. – Idaho State Civic Symphony’s annual Halloween Spooktacular, a family concert and musical fair will be in the Stephen’s Performing Arts Center. Tickets are $8 per person or $27 for a family up to four people. Attendees are encouraged to dress up as their favorite character and bring children in their Halloween costumes. During this mid-day event, participants can enjoy games, activities, a “petting zoo,” costumes and live music that consists of a more upbeat tempo. Additional entertainment will include interesting and fun-filled educational activities in the Rotunda 1-1:45 p.m. and the concert begins at 2 p.m. For more information contact 208-282-3595.