The Pocatello Small Business Development Center (SBDC) understands the importance of women’s contributions to the local economy. Each year, the Center offers the low-cost Working Women Business Symposium.
"Our goal is to provide inspiration, education and networking for local business women. We want to see more successful businesswomen in our community," said SBDC consultant Ann Swanson.
The 2013 Symposium is set Thursday, Oct. 10, from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Pocatello Clarion Inn. It will focus on networking, life balance, and preventing self-sabotage with a keynote address from top-rated 2012 speaker and humorist Jane Freund.
Freund is an author, speaker, and publisher who is dedicated to positively influencing lives through friendship, communication, and education. After a wide assortment of career activity capped off by teaching communication at Boise State University for 10 years, Jane began writing books and had her first one published in 2008.
Extraordinary local entrepreneur, Teresa Nelson, will be the opening speaker. Teresa opened Home Helpers in the basement of her Pocatello home in 2010 and now has more than 50 employees.
Symposium workshops focus on building skills for a successful business or career and include:
• "Write On! – How to write about your professional self." – Ann Swanson MHA MSG, SBDC, Marketing & Communications Consultant
• "Beyond the Check Book – Tips for investing and retirement."- Brenda Haan, Edward Jones
• "Sit and Deliver! – Improve your energy and focus at work." – Karen Donaldson MS, Excel Fitness
• "Can I Fire That Guy? – Navigating employment laws." – Kimberly D. Evans Ross Esq., Moffat Thomas
• "Strategies for the Second Shift – Time management for busy women." – Michele O'Brien Rose, Ph.D., ISU College of Business.
Tickets are $25 for attendees and $50 for a table sponsorship. Visit http://www.idahoworkingwomen.com/ or call Swanson at 282-4402 for more information.